Fundamentals of Business Process management - C: Basics
18 important questions on Fundamentals of Business Process management - C: Basics
What is the primary goal of PMN?
- business analysts
- technical developers
- business managers
Its a common XML language which bridges the communication gap between business process design and implementation
What is BPMN's method and style?
- a standardized set of symbols with semantics and rules on how to combine symbols
- a 'how to' set of guidelines
- the art of modelling, a combination of best practices, experiences and consistent application of some principles
What is Bruce Silver's BPMN method?
- limited set of symbols
- hierarchical, top-down modelling
- focus on understanding and handeling real-world processes
- focus: business
Level 2: Analytical BPMN
- full palette of symbols, incorporates events, exception handling
- emphasises consistency and technical meaning of shapes
- focus: shared meanign between Business & IT
Level 3: executable BPMN
XML language underneath BPMN
- Higher grades + faster learning
- Never study anything twice
- 100% sure, 100% understanding
Which submodels are there within an end-to-end BPMN model?
- non executable Business Processes
- Executable Business Processes
- Public processes
- focus on the exchange of messages between participants
- represent interactions between two or more processes
What are the basic concepts within BPMN
- somethign that 'happens' during the process
- can affect the flow of the process
- usually have a trigger or a result
- can start, interrupt, or end the flow
- work that is performed within a business process
- can be atomic or non atomic
- used to show the order in which the process activities will be performed
- used to show the flow of messages between two entities that are prepared to send and receive them
- used to control how sequence flows interact as they converge and diverge within a process
What are the BPMN basic symbols and their meaning?
What are the BPMN token semantics?
A process instance represents a single occurrence of a process
- it can be represented as a token
- colours can be used to distinguish different process instances
- the start event creates tokens
What does the XOR split do?
Only 1 outgoing path is chosen
based on data known to the process (conditions)
default flow means 'otherwise' = if all other conditions evaluate to false
How does the inclusive OR split work?
1 or more outgoing paths are chosen
requires a condition on each of its outgoing branches
tested based on data known to the process
How does the AND (parallel) split work?
All parallel paths are followed
- token is split in as many tokens
Same meaning as multiple outgoing paths of an activity
What does the merging paths: XOR join do?
- XOR join behaves as a multi-merge or 'pass through': triggered once for each incoming token
Same meaning as merging without gateway
What does the merging paths: AND join do?
AND gateway join enforces synchronisation
What does the merging paths: inclusive OR join do?
- behaves like an and, but only waits for active paths
What is good practice in modelling style?
- avoid combining split and merge in a single gateway
How do pools function?
Well-defined semantics in BPMN
- the pool is a container for the sequence flow between activities
- sequence flow is not allowed to cross the boundary of a pool
How do lanes function?
Can be nested
- company -> departments -> roles
- lane set applies to a specific process level
- you can replicate lane set in parent and child level diagrams
How do messages function?
- is represented as a dashed arrow
Which BPMN information artifacts are there?
are a mechanism to show how data is required (input for) or produced (output by) by activites
Data Stores: persistent data
Are containers of data objects that need to be persisted beyond the duration of a process instance
are used to link artifacts such as data objects and data stores with flow objects
The question on the page originate from the summary of the following study material:
- A unique study and practice tool
- Never study anything twice again
- Get the grades you hope for
- 100% sure, 100% understanding