Wine Regions - Cuyo GI - Mendoza Province
3 important questions on Wine Regions - Cuyo GI - Mendoza Province
Describe the province of Mendoza
- The largest producing province, 75% of total vineyard area, 70% of production.
- Mainly in valley of river Mendoza, but extending to foothills of the Andes
- from 500m to 1500m (Uco Valley) above sea level
- 60% black varieties, dominated by Malbec (30+%)
- Only two DOCs, and a lot of GIs (GI Cuyo covers the whole area).
- 5 separate divisions, each own distinct character:
- Northern - low altitude 500-700m
- Eastern - low altitude
- Central: the Primera Zona
- Uco Valley
North and Eastern Mendoza are at low altitude. Where and how high? Which style of wine is produced?
- On the plains of Mendoza river valley
- warmer, enough water for irrigation
- Inexpensive wines, large volumes
In Southern Mendoza, which is the other DOC beside Lujan de Cuyo?
- San Rafael -grapes mostly for blends
- The signature grape is Chenin Blanc!
The question on the page originate from the summary of the following study material:
- A unique study and practice tool
- Never study anything twice again
- Get the grades you hope for
- 100% sure, 100% understanding